Sunday, June 7, 2009

Memorial Day ride -- Comstock to Sand Lake



On Memorial Day, Don, Vic and I rode from Comstock/Riverside Park in Grand Rapids to Sand Lake again.

This was a tough decision for me: I'd just returned from a tour around Lake Michigan -- which is described in horrific detail in this blog. On the one hand, I wanted a rest and to adjust to home. On the other hand, I wanted to eat relatively guilt-free on Sunday (Sue's brother Dee got a new grill and lots of meat). So I went biking.




The nice thing about trails is that when they're not too crowded, you can ride side-by-side and talk. Vic is a very strong rider, and my technique for keeping up with him is to ride next to him and ask him a question about ham radio, flying airplanes, cell phone politics or the merits of different hearing aids. As he talks about one of his passions, he can't ride as fast and I can keep up. In the picture above, I think he slowed down to smile and Don passed him.




This time, instead of eating at Arnie's, we ate in Sand Lake, right near the end of the trail. It has the best cinnamon rolls I've seen outside of an airport.


About half way up the trail there's Rockford, which has a fantastic park for kids, Arnie's for food, and a lovely ride along the river. We stopped here because the bathrooms were open.

Thanks to Vic's wind-sense and planning, the ride back was much faster. The trail got crowded, but we flew back quickly. Don was tired, but I felt great, and the drive back was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment