Friday, April 2, 2010

Grand Haven to Holland



It was the last day of March. The weather was cool, but not freezing -- at 43 degrees, I didn't need tights or toe covers. Later it would climb into the 50's, and as I'm writing this, we are experiencing record heat -- peaking in the 80's. This is my favorite ride; it's all street riding, although there's a side path most of the way. It's harder and prettier than most of our other rides: the rolling hills make this one of the more challenging rides, and we are next to the lake much of the way, so we get occasional glimpses through the homes that hug the shore.



Don remembered everything this time: last time we loaned him a coat, sweatshirt and cash. Unfortunately, due to his seemingly random arrhythmia, he had to abandon the ride about 1/4 of a mile into it. He got the car and drove to Holland. I rode with Vic to Holland, where we all had breakfast. Don and I drove home, while Vic biked back to Grand Haven.


Vic and I took the long way -- which involves some steep climbs and more severe terrain than usual. We also rode as hard as I could, averaging around 13 or so, and taking only a couple of water/coffee breaks. Vic led the way most of the way. My bike wasn't shifting well, so the hills were a little harder than they had to be. Vic had just lost 28 lbs and wasn't using his shifters because, well, he didn't notice the hills.

I wish Don didn't have to bail, and I hope he makes it on our next ride. I'm glad I got those 25 miles in.

Bike Notes: I finally took of my chain to clean it, and this turned into a disaster. First, I couldn't figure out how to use the "master links", so I just broke the chain with a chain tool. THEN the master link broke, but not cleanly. I soaked it in dish washing soap and then sprayed degreaser on it, blah blah. It was clean and dry by the time I put it back. I also cleaned off most of my bike, forgetting the shiny badge on the top tube. While I was doing this, my grandkids were using the rags and soapy water on their tricycles... then rocks, their hair, pretty much anything. When I got the chain reassembled and back in the right place, my derailleur was completely out of whack. I don't know how that happened but the cable was completely loose. I tightened the cable and adjusted it as well as I could, but it was "auto shifting" frequently on this ride, and it won't stay in my second smallest cog. I think I just need a new chain and professional help. After I got home I adjusted it again, as well as I could, and put a new chain in my cart in Amazon, for the next time I spend money there.

1 comment:

  1. Vic looks like he is in a great deal of pain in picture above. Is that because his clothes don't fit him anymore after losing 28 pounds?

    ReplyDelete