Monday, February 16, 2009

Raliegh Sojourn -- First Impression


I bought the 2008 Raliegh Soujourn from Cross Country Cycles on Valentine's Day, February 14th. Yes, there is a large bank of snow outside the store.
Here's what I can tell you:
It has disc brakes. These are different than traditional rim brakes, but they can still stop you, and they are very common on mountain bikes.
It has Bar End Shifters. The triple is friction, the 9-speed rear is indexed.
It weighs 34.8 pounds with a Kickstand and M520 pedals.

There are three bottle cage mounts.
There are two spare spokes. I would guess that these are for the rear wheel, but it's not clear.
The wheels themselves are used on Tandems, so although they are 32 spoke, the strength of the wheels should not be an issue.
It has Brooks Handlebar tape and a Brooks Aged B17 Saddle.
It tracked well during my 1/2 mile test ride in a small amount of snow, wet pavement and ice.
This is exactly the bike I wanted.

5 comments:

  1. Hello there,

    I just found your page and I've found it very helpful. I purchased a Raleigh Sojourn last week and I've been commuting on it this week. I love this bike. Question: what make and model of kickstand are you using? My LBS told me that it might be difficult finding a kickstand that works with the bike's frame. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff,

    The kickstand is the cheap aluminum one that seem to be everywhere.

    It does not handle panniers, strong wind or soft ground well. With a trunk and handlebar bags, it's sensitive to how the handlebars are turned.

    Mostly, it works, and it's better than nothing.


    -- Royce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Royce,

    Thanks for your advice. I've found some two-piece kick stands on the net which appear to provide much better stability. Don't know if they'll fit my bike but I'm going to look into it. I'm so old school one of my pet peeves is that modern bikes don't have them. I have a 1971 Raleigh Superbe with a kick stand and other riders look at me like I just stepped out of a bicycle museum. Anyway, thanks for your help.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Royce, Great blog. Proud owner of a RS. Did you upgrade your kickstand to something more stable? I am preparing for the Ride Florida tour. Thanks, John

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I haven't upgraded my kickstand. I find it works well without panniers, so I can't justify it.

    ReplyDelete