Sunday, March 15, 2009

Equipment: Ortlieb Ultimte5 Classic Handlebar Bag-Medium




















I really like having a handlebar bag. I keep my wallet, keys, phone, snacks -- anything I want handy while I'm riding. However, I'm not so coordinated I can answer the phone without stopping, but maybe someday. It works like a purse in that you have an easy-to-remove, easy to carry bag with your most liquid possessions, so you can take it in with you to a restaurant. The best part about it, though, is having a map holder. I realize that using maps today is "retro", and in fact I have a GPS unit which would also mount on this bar, but there are a variety of issues using GPS that I'll discuss in another post.

Ortlieb makes a durable, waterproof bag with plenty of room. I paid $80 for it, so it's not cheap. You can check the Ortlieb website for official volume, but you can hold a grown cat in there securely (or so I've.. um.. heard). The side notches are for a removable carry strap, but like every Ortlieb carry strap I've seen reviewed, it's pointless, and I don't use it. The bag you see here has about a half a season on it (1000 miles), including some very wet riding, and shows absolutely no signs of wear. The mount is extremely secure, using cables to connect the mount to the handlebars and stem. Moving the mount from one bike to another took me hours, and if I was going to do it again, I'd just buy a new mount for $20.















Removing the bag from the bike can be done with one hand, with practice, but I usually use two hands.













Ortlieb charges extra for a map holder ($18). It's a nice map holder, with lots of waterproof visible space. It holds your map securely, and it's easy to unfold. What's hard is getting the map in there in the first place -- it's got waterproof Velcro seals at the top and the plastic is thin and sticky. Once there it's safe, secure and easy to use -- until the next time you need to turn the page. Note that it snaps securely to the top of the bag.



The GPS holder did not meet the same standards that I've come to expect from Ortlieb. The first day I used my GPS in the holder one of the straps broke (see second picture below). As I don't mount the GPS to the top of my bag, it's not much of an issue. The batteries on my GPS don't last long to begin with, and it's not bright enough to see in direct sunlight, so I use my GPS to track where I've gone and if I get lost, determine where I am. The GPS holder does keep my gps dry.



















I like the Ortlieb handlebar bag. I could use a smaller bag, but I love the map case, and having all my valuables in one, easy to take package.

No comments:

Post a Comment