Monday, March 16, 2009

First Rides

Miles so far: 52


I've ridden four times this year. The first ride was only 2 miles, in what I later learned was 10 degree wind-chill. My ankles were numb when I got back.


The second was 4.5 miles. It was a gorgeous day, I had 90 minutes between meetings, and I decided to put on Sue's new computer. (Sue is my wife). As I got the computer on, Ben (my step son) told me he wanted to ride as well, so he got my old Randonee ready while I got my clothes on. Then Sue got home and she wanted to go. Once we hooked up the Burley (to Sue), got the grand-kids loaded and hit the road, I had about 25 minutes until my next meeting, so I rode with Sue, Annie, Mark and Ben to the park and then I returned right away. "Look honey, no hands!"






The third was in a pouring rainstorm. I figured rain was warmer than snow, so I spent an hour riding south to the State Park, then east to a property we own, then north home. That was 12 very wet miles, and I was very cold when I got back.


Finally, Don and I went on a real ride yesterday to Coloma. I took a "Myspace picture" right before I started, with ice floes in the background.

My bike is far more photogenic than I:




Don is my normal riding partner. We did about 1500 miles together last year. He did a few without me and vice versa, but he – along with his little brother – is the person I ride with the most.


Don is Sue's dad and 82 years old; he rides a Cannondale t2000. He lives about a mile from us. I usually don't get to see Don from the front; I usually see him like this:






There and back was about 33 miles, and we took three hours on the bike. We also spent a wonderful hour at Friendly's Tavern.




The ride is a little too short, but it's flat and starts at our door. Both of us showed up for spin the next day (Spin starts at 6am).

No comments:

Post a Comment