Sunday, April 26, 2009

Musketawa Trail II


The winds were going to be from the South. At first Vic suggested Grand Haven/Holland, which is my favorite ride, but we were limited in time and we weren't sure we were ready for the hills. Don had issues on this trail a couple of times last year, and I was worried that if we rushed, those problems might reappear. But then again, they might not -- Don is much better about eating and pacing himself. Be that as it may, Musketawa is a great trail, and that's the one we chose.



Vic told me he had a surprise for me, an "ancient boy toy". When Don and I arrived I was curious, and slightly apprehensive, but that all fell to delight when I saw what he had for me: a TRS-80 PC-3!! This is a calculator with a one line monitor on which you could program BASIC. He'd put in new batteries and it booted right up. I can't wait to have some time to play with it.



Vic also brought orange juice, so we started off with a nice rush. I was exhausted -- almost painfully so -- as I'd only had 4 hours of sleep the night before. I had to drag myself along the trail.



Still, a day on the trail is more fun than almost anything, even riding into the wind.



Breakfast was waiting for us in Ravenna. I still can't remember the name of the restaurant.



Vic took some action shots of Don and I. We tried to ride fast enough to prevent this, but he saw all my pictures and wanted revenge.


OK, this is revenge.

I love my wool jersey. I have been reading about the advantages of wool jerseys over poly jerseys. Obviously they have a lot of stretch, but they are supposed to be better at managing temperature. I was comfortable in temperatures from 53 to 78 during the day with only this jersey on; in cooler temps, this jersey alone under a windbreaker is also comfortable. When I wash it, this jersey takes longer to dry than my other jerseys, and sweat seemed to remain on it longer -- and more obviously -- than my other jerseys. It's supposed to smell less, but I've had a chronic cold so I haven't smelled anything from any of my jerseys. The cut of this jersey is not flattering. Better for more temperatures -- yes! Makes me look hot -- no!



Don, photo taken by his baby brother, as I rush to take my turn in the rest room.




We all reached the end -- Vic again gets the photo credit.



Vic and Don examine Vic's bike. Nope, no food.



Vic pretends not to be famished.



Don eats a power bar, so he must be famished.

This is the best weather we've had this year. We posted a better average speed and returned in plenty of time. This is probably the last ride I'll take with Don and Vic until after my tour in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment