Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 6, Milwaukee to Sheboygan







Leaving Milwaukee was great. Entering Milwaukee was mixed: the bars look great, but we were lectured by polices because I was weaving around in a lane towing the cart. Now, I was just driving along on whatever cement happened to be there, but when Milwaukee's finest saw me being passed unsafely, they thought I ought to drive farther to the right side of the lane, even if there were gaping holes in the street. Some police might arrest someone who passes unsafely, but not in Milwaukee.




Sue left at 7am, which was incredible. I worked from 4 to 11:30 or so and got on the road as soon as I could after. I finished off the day with an hour or so of work, so I felt good about myself on a Friday.




Leaving at 11:30, there wasn't a lot of time to screw around. We threw out the directions I worked so hard to build on Map My ride, and instead used the Garmin Nuvi, which found a fantasic bike route out of town. It was truly unfortunate that I could not catch up with Sue before getting to Sheboygan. Sue towed the kids to the hotel all on her own.


There was almost no traffic along this route, and this was the first of many fields with a lake iew. We wondered why no one bought this.
The town of Port Washington is dominated by a church. It's a lovely town, well worth visiting, but leaving involves a nasty hill.

The above picture is the "light station". I don't know why you want to lure ships up a hill, but apparently this worked.
I had lunch at The Sundance bar, which is at the top of the hill past the church. I had a great time chatting with the locals, one of whom told me that there was a bike path to Cedar Grove. I asked if it was paved, but the answer was garbled due to a) his Jamacan accent; b) his drinking or c) my drinking. As I only had two beers, I think we can rule out "c". Paved with gravel didn't sound inviting, so I stuck to our route.

Annie saw a boat from our window in Sheboygan. She told us about it every opportunity. She's 23 months old, so this means every waking moment, more or less.


I don't know why the Middle school was donated by the student council. Most communities buy their own schools.
56 EASY miles, 314 total.
No map-my-ride route, why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment